Prince Philip transferred to another hospital amid treatment

0
0

[ad_1]

Prince Philip has been transferred to another UK hospital nearly two weeks after he was admitted for treatment of an infection.

Buckingham Palace announced the duke’s transfer Monday, after an ambulance was seen leaving the private London hospital — shielded from broadcast cameras by umbrellas, The Evening Standard reported.

“The Duke of Edinburgh was today transferred from King Edward VII’s Hospital to St Bartholomew’s Hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition,” the Palace said in a statement issued to the outlet.

“The Duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week.”

St. Bartholomew’s is a center of excellence for cardiac care, according to its NHS website.

“The Duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week," the Palace said in a statement about Prince Phillip.
“The Duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week,” the Palace said in a statement about Prince Phillip.
EPA/ANDY RAIN

The 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth II — who is three months shy of his 100th birthday — was admitted to the hospital Feb. 16 as a precautionary measure when he felt unwell.

Last week, the palace said Prince Philip was not expected to be released for several days.

His youngest child, Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex, said at the time that his father is doing “a lot better” and the family has received “brilliant and lovely messages” since he was hospitalized, adding they really “appreciate” the missives and “so does he.”

An ambulance receives a patient before leaving King Edward VII's Hospital in London, Britain, on March 1, 2021.
An ambulance receives a patient before leaving King Edward VII’s Hospital in London, Britain, on March 1, 2021.
EPA/NEIL HALL

“He’s looking forward to getting out, which is the most positive thing, so we keep our fingers crossed,” he said.

Buckingham Palace said the prince’s stay is not related to the coronavirus. He and the queen, 94, already received their COVID-19 vaccines in January.

Staff use umbrellas to shield entrance to an ambulance outside the rear of the King Edward VII Hospital in London where Prince Philip is being treated on March 1, 2021.
Staff use umbrellas to shield entrance to an ambulance outside the rear of the King Edward VII Hospital in London where Prince Philip is being treated on March 1, 2021.
Dominic Lipinski/PA via AP

The nonagenarian has had a few bouts of bad health over the last decade. In 2011, he was treated for a blocked coronary artery, a year later he was hospitalized for a bladder infection, and in 2013, he underwent surgery on his abdomen.

He was also hospitalized in 2017 for an infection and again in 2019 for what the palace called a “pre-existing condition.”

[ad_2]

Source link