Queen Elizabeth II has been slammed on social media for a cold-as-ice tweet from the Royal Family Twitter account marking the disgraced Prince Andrew’s 61st birthday this week, Express reports.
The account represents the Queen as well as other senior royals who lack their own personal accounts. Usually, the account marks birthdays with at least a slight dose of effusive cheer. But not for Prince Andrew, who was forced into early retirement a little over a year ago for his notorious connections to the late serial sexual predator Jeffrey Epstein.
All Prince Andrew got from the Queen on his birthday was a curt: “#OnThisDay in 1960 The Queen was safely delivered of a son, the first child born to a reigning Monarch since 1857.” (Prince Charles and Princess Anne were born before the then–Princess Elizabeth ascended to the british throne in 1952.)
The Queen’s birthday tweet included a couple of photos of Prince Andrew, although they were from his much younger days.
“Her Majesty is pictured holding Prince Andrew in 1961 on the balcony of Buckingham Palace, alongside The Duke of Edinburgh, Princess Anne and The Queen Mother.”
Queen attacked on Twitter over Prince Andrew birthday message – ‘No shame!’
Some royal watchers were not pleased with the Queen’s apparent iciness on Prince Andrew’s birthday.
“Disappointed in this post,” said one individual.
Download the Knewz App
“NO SHAME,” proclaimed another.
The Daily Star cited yet another horrified Twitter user who exclaimed in response to the Queen’s message on Prince Andrew’s birthday, “Wow, this caption.. Wrong move! No need for this.”
Another said: “You must not wish him a happy birthday on social media! Please delete!”
Prince Andrew’s birthday message from Queen slammed as ‘wrong move’ by fans
Then there were Twitter users who faulted the Queen for bringing up her disgraced middle son on his birthday at all, such as one who said, “Do we really need to be reminded about Prince Andrew? He is no longer a working royal so let him stay out of sight and mind.”
Other tweets predicted that the surge of attention surrounding Meghan Markle and Prince Harry this week was sure to deflect attention from the Queen’s treatment of Prince Andrew on his birthday.
In quick succession, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as Meghan and Harry are known, announced this week that they are expecting a second child in the coming months and that they are gearing up to sit down for a primetime tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey, to air on CBS on March 7. Buckingham Palace then responded by moving up its all-important decision about the couple’s palace in the royal family going forward, announcing that they would not return to working royal life, that he would be stripped of his honorary military titles and they would be stripped of their royal patronages.
Express reports that any plan to ring the bells on Prince Andrew’s birthday has been scrapped because of the COVID-19 pandemic — sparing the Queen a potential awkward decision on the matter.
The Abbey’s website reads: “The Abbey bells can usually be heard before services and in celebration of church festivals and royal occasions. “Following the latest guidelines from the Church of England and the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers, ringing at the Abbey by our volunteer bell ringers is currently suspended during the coronavirus outbreak.”
Prince Andrew to miss out on birthday tribute that sparked backlash after Epstein scandal
Even after the Queen forced Prince Andrew to step down from working royal life given his catastrophic November 2019 BBC interview about his friendship with Esptein, the Abbey still rang its bells to mark his 60th birthday last year.
Over the summer, the Queen reportedly engaged in discussions about slimming down the roster of 11 senior royals who are honored with the tolling of the Abbey bells on their birthdays to just include the Queen and those descendants directly in line for the throne — Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince George.
Prince Andrew’s daughter Princess Eugenie recently welcomed her first baby with her husband Jack Brooksbank, Hello! Magazine notes.
The couple are starting their family life in Frogmore Cottage, which is on loan to them from Meghan and Harry given the fact that the Sussexes vacated the spacious home last year when they left the UK to seek their fortune across the Atlantic.
In a statement to announce the baby’s birth, Buckingham Palace said: “The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Duke of York, Sarah, Duchess of York, and Mr and Mrs George Brooksbank have been informed and are delighted with the news.”
The Queen marks Prince Andrew’s milestone birthday